Monday, July 15

Over at Udder, Lauren's family ad quite the scare last night. Awwwww. Poor baby Rose!
This reminds me of the time, way way back, when Sarah was, well gee, just about the age Emma is now and Addison was 4. Meaghan was just a bump in the belly.
Addison was investigating our pencil sharpener on the wall above the counter, the kind they have in schools. He had the lid off, sharpening a pencil to see how it worked. I was on the phone to my mother. Sarah was on the counter (a low one) in front of me playing.
The next thing I know the kids are quiet and still. Addison is saying something, then my blood runs cold. "GOTTA GO MOM BYE!" and I hang up the phone.
Sarah's finger is stuck in the pencil sharpener, in the part that chews off the wood.
I am out in the country, 30 minutes form any hospital, no car, no driver's license. I call the first person I think of and freak and sob all over their head. They find a brother-in-law of mine to rush us all up to the local clinic where the doctor isn't in yet. We make the 20 minute drive in less than 15.
I worry that Ron will come home, see the drops of blood on the floor, no note, and be a total mess when I get back.
The doctor finally arrives more than an hour later, looks at Sarah's finger and says not only is it too tiny for him to stitch, we've waited to long. HUH? I want to brain him, but refrain. The nurse bandages it up quite well, with a dressing that coveres most of her hand.
It left a star-shaped scar and to this day, ten years later, there is no feeling in the tip of that finger. None of the kid's other accidents have freaked me out as bad. It's the only one that ever happened right in front of me.

No comments: